I came up with this recipe on a whim as a hearty and easy recipe to make for the week as I get super busy with school. Make a big batch and heat it up all week!
Spicy Red Lentil and Sweet Potato Soup
(with Spice-Roasted Sunflower Seeds)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 white onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 cups dry red lentils
- 8 cups vegetable stock or broth
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- cayenne pepper, to taste
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and saute for a few minutes, until translucent. Add the garlic and ginger and saute for a few more minutes, until fragrant.
- Add the sweet potatoes, red lentils, vegetable broth, chili powder, and a few dashes of cayenne.
- Turn the heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes and lentils are tender.
- Puree the soup in batches in a blender or with an immersion blender. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and cayenne.
Spice-Roasted Sunflower Seeds
- 2/3 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- a few dashes cayenne pepper
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicon mat.
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl.
- Spread the mixture in an even layer on the prepared baking sheet and bake for about 8 minutes, until toasted and golden brown.