Kale, Sweet Potato, and Chickpea Curry
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 yellow or white onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 large sweet potatoes, diced
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 13.5 oz can light coconut milk
- 1 bunch kale, stemmed and chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro, plus more for garnish
- Salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper, to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the onion and ginger, saute until lightly browned.
- Add the curry powder, cumin, cinnamon, and sweet potatoes. Cook about 1 minute, until fragrant.
- Add the chickpeas, tomatoes, and vegetable broth. Turn heat to high, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and kale. Simmer, uncovered, until the sweet potatoes are tender and the sauce is slightly thickened.
- Add the cilantro, season to taste with salt, pepper, and cayenne.