I'm never much of a football fan, but I usually sit through the Superbowl (you know, for the commercials and the puppy bowl.) And I always enjoy the snacks.
This year I came up with this awesome veggie chili to snack on. My family is a big fan of simple veggie chili recipes, but this one has a special twist - mole flavor! The addition of cocoa powder, cinnamon, and molasses makes it super rich and complex without having to cook it for hours. Yum!
Quick Mole Veggie Chili
Makes 6-8 entree servings
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 2 tablespoons smoke paprika
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 3 15 oz cans of beans (I used 2 cans of black beans and 1 can of kidney beans), drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- salt and cayenne pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium high heat.
- Add the onion and red pepper. Cook for 5 minutes, until the onion is browned and translucent. Add the garlic and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add all the spices (chili powder through cinnamon) and cook, stirring constantly, for 30 seconds.
- Add the diced tomatoes, beans, molasses, and vegetable broth.
- Turn the heat to high, bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes, until slightly thickened.
- Season with salt and cayenne pepper to taste.
It's equally delicious as a dip for tortilla chips - that's what I'll be putting out on our coffee table tomorrow!