Pumpkin Spice Waffles
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal
- 3 tablespoons hot water
- 6 tablespoons pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup almond milk
- 3 tablespoons sucanat or brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- In a small bowl, mix the flaxseed meal and hot water. Set aside to thicken.
- In a large bowl, mix the sucanat, pumpkin pie spice, flour, and baking powder.
- Stir the pumpkin puree, vanilla extract, almond milk, and flaxseed mixture into the dry ingredients, mixing just until combined.
- Heat a waffle iron on high heat, spray well with cooking spray, then drop a large spoonful of batter onto the iron and cook until deep golden brown.
- Make sure you spray the waffle iron well between each waffle or they will stick. Trust me.
Make these ASAP, and then go for a run for me, since I'll be on the sidelines for a little bit. I attempted a 20 mile run with Team in Training as my last long run before tapering for the Marine Corps Marathon and made it a whopping 6 miles before having to drop out. My ankle started aching around mile 4 and had turned into a sharp, stinging, crippling pain by mile 6. No fun.
I'm still really bummed about today, since I was so excited to get in another long run and be super prepared for the marathon in a few weeks. But things like this happen, I guess, so I'm working on wrapping up my pity party and doing everything I can to get healthy so I can get back out there!