Sautéed Swiss Chard with Raisins and Almonds
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large white onion, thinly sliced
1 large granny smith apple, finely diced
1/3 cup raisins
1 large bunch rainbow swiss chard, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup toasted, sliced almonds
salt and pepper
1. In a large sauté pan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.
2. Add the onion and sauté until golden brown and caramelized, about 10 minutes.
3. Add the apple and raisins and continue to sauté until the apple is cooked and lightly caramelized.
4. Add the swiss chard and toss until wilted. I used tongs to turn the swiss chard, continuing until it was all wilted.
5. Stir in the vinegar and season with salt and pepper to taste.
6. Remove from the heat and top with sliced almonds just before serving.
Poached Apricots with Vanilla and Cardamom
1 lb fresh apricots, peeled if desired, halved & pitted
1/4 cup apricot jam
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
toasted, sliced almonds for topping
1. Combine the apricot jam, water, extracts, and cardamom in a large, shallow saucepan over medium-high heat.
2. Bring to a boil, then turn the heat to low and add the apricots in a single layer, cut side down.
3. Cover the pan and cook for 7-10 minutes, until the apricots are fork-tender.
4. Serve immediately or chill and serve cold over frozen yogurt, regular yogurt, French toast, pancakes, etc. with the toasted almonds.
I'm excited to be back in the kitchen again. Keep checking in for more of my creations and for internship and San Francisco updates throughout the summer!