This honey-sweetened cake makes a great summery dessert and would be fantastic topped with some vanilla frozen yogurt and fresh berries or even as a decadent breakfast treat. Enjoy!
Cornmeal Cake with Blueberry Sauce
2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
6 tablespoons hot water
2/3 cup cornmeal
1/3 cup tapioca flour
1/3 cup chickpea flour
1/3 cup almond meal
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup almond milk
6 tablespoons honey
1/4 cup canola oil
2 cups frozen blueberries
1/4 cup raspberry preserves
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F, line an 8-inch round cake pan with parchment paper and grease.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the ground flaxseed with the hot water and let sit for a few minutes.
3. In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, flours, almond meal, xanthan gum, baking powder, and salt.
4. Add the almond milk, honey, and oil to the flaxseed mixture and stir into the dry ingredients.
5. Spread the batter in the prepared pan and bake for 30 minutes. Cool in the pan for a few minutes and then transfer to a wire rack.
Meanwhile, prepare the sauce:
1. Combine all sauce ingredients in a small saucepan and heat over medium-high heat until syrupy. Serve over cake.