I made this recipe about a weeka ago, but I never got the chance to post it. My mom has been saying that I'm "allowed" to make a shirmp and corn chowder--meaning she really, really wants me to make it--for quite a while, so I finally decided to accept my privilege and make some chowder!
Shrimp and Corn Chowder
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
1 medium baking potato, finely chopped
1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
1 12 oz can evaporated skim milk (not sweetened condensed milk!)
1 cup vegetable broth
zest of one lemon
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
3/4 lb medium shrimp
salt and pepper
1. In a large pot, heat about a tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat and add the onion, garlic, and thyme. 2. Cook for 5-7 minutes, until the onion is soft and transluscent.
3. Add the potato, corn, evaporated milk, and vegetable broth.
4. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for about 15 minutes, until the potato is cooked through. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
5. In a medium bowl, mix the lemon zest, shrimp, cumin, and some salt and pepper.
6. Heat a skillet over high heat, add about a teaspoon of olive oil, then cook the shrimp for about 3 minutes, until just cooked through.
7. Ladle the soup into bowls and top with the shrimp.