-planning for cross country next year--summer training!
-getting school work out of the way, just one more week!
-taking the SAT
-raising nearly $3,000 for Share Our Strength with a huge bake sale
-baking for the huge bake sale
-baking numerous vegan chocolate raspberry cakes for graduation parties
-planting basil, thyme, and rosemary
-of course, cooking even more delicious stuff!
One of my favorite summer veggies (grains?) is corn on the cob, especially when it's super juicy and sweet and yummy...mmm I want some right now. Well, corn (along with my new basil plant) inspired me to make this super fresh, summery salad the other day, and now I can't wait until my tomatoes start growing so I can make it again and again this summer.
Summery Corn, Tomato and Spinach Salad with Creamy Basil Dressing
Ingredients (serves 2-3):
2 ripe tomatoes, sliced
2 ears of fresh corn, cooked (steamed, roasted, grilled, boiled, etc.)
3 cups fresh spinach
salt and pepper
creamy basil dressing
1. Layer the tomatoes, corn, and spinach on a plate or toss them in a bowl, then season with salt and pepper.
2. Drizzle on the dressing, then enjoy!
zest of 1/2 a lemon
1. Combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor, blend until smooth.
1 1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
1 medium ripe banana, mashed
2-3 peaches (depending on how much you snack on), chopped
2 tablespoons chopped almonds
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
2 tablespoons agave nectar or honey
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon ground flaxseed meal
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix.
3. Pour the mixture into a greased casserole dish (smaller than 9x13 in.)
4. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until golden brown and puffed