One upside of being home from vacation is being able to cook and blog again! Although I love going on vacation and spending time with my family, I'm happy to be back home and cooking up a storm once again.
This morning I opened up the fridge to find enormous containers of blueberries, strawberries, watermelon, and mangoes...oh how I love summer. I tried for a while to come up with a red, white, and blue breakfast to get in the mood for the 4th of July, but I couldn't get my creative juices flowing! When I can't think of anything else, I know I can always fall back on some yummy pancakes! Here's what I came up with: banana and oatmeal pancakes with plump, juicy blueberries tossed in. They're vegan, too! I loved the texture--fluffy yet chewy, with bursts of blueberry throughout. I wish I wasn't so full from eating these, I want more right now!
1 1/4 cups old-fashioned oats
1/2 cup spelt flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups unsweetened almond milk
2 medium bananas, mashed
blueberries, as desired
1. Combine oats, flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.
2. Add the milk and bananas and stir until just combined.
3. Heat a skillet over medium heat and spray with cooking spray.
4. Drop heaping spoonfuls of batter onto the hot skillet and then press blueberries into the batter.
5. When the first side is golden brown and bubbles form on the surface of the batter, flip the pancakes and cook for 1-2 minutes longer, until the pancake is cooked in the middle.
6. Garnish with blueberries and maple syrup.